Implants have given dentistry a face-lift over the past few decades and the success rates of implants are high. Dental implants are the closest analogue to healthy, natural teeth. They give one the privilege to confidently perform the daily activities and enjoy them, relish the food, laugh and smile with the loved ones without worrying about teeth.(1) Implant placement is a very technique sensitive procedure requiring thorough knowledge as well as an adept implantologist. Despite reliably high success rates, failure of implants can occur neccessitating their immediate removal. Failure can be attributed to numerous causes-failure to osseointegrate being the more common one. The aim of this review is to highlight the major etiology for failure of implants.
what-are-dental-implants/[Accessed on 12th April. 2018]
2. Levin L, Schwartz-Arad D. The effect of cigarette smoking on dental implants and related surgery. Implant Dent. 2005;14(4):357- 61.
3. Nitzan D, Mamlider A, Levin L, Schwartz-Arad D. Impact of smoking on marginal bone loss. Int J Maxillofac Implants. 2005;20:605-9.
4. Khatri J,Tated G. Failure in implantology-review article. J Appl Dent Med Sci 2015;1:55-62.
5. Bahat O, Handelsman M. Use of wide implants and double implants in the posterior jaw: A clinical report. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 1996;11:379-86
6. Pinto AVS, Miyagusko JM, Ramalho AS, Wassall, T, Pereira LAV. Fatores de risco, complicaçöes e fracassos na terapêutica com implantes osseointegrados. In: Feller, Christa; Gorab, Riad. Atualizaçäo na clínica odontológica: módulos de atualização. São Paulo: Artes Médicas; 2000. p.133-216.
7.Jacobsson MG, Jonsson AK, Albrektsson TO, Turesson IE. Short- and long-term effects of irradiation on bone regeneration. Plast Reconstr Surg 1985; 76: 841-50.
8. Misch CE. Early bone loss etiology and its effect on treatment planning. Dent Today 1996; 15: 44-51.
9. Bain CA. Smoking and implant failure—benefits of a smoking cessation protocol. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 1996; 11: 756-9.
10. Jadhav RD, Sabane AV, Gandhi PV, Thareja A. Dental implant in diabetic patients: Statement of facts. Indian J Oral Sci 2015;6:47-50.
11. Abdulwassie H, Dhanrajani PJ. Diabetes mellitus and dental implants: a clinical study. Implant Dent 2002; 11: 83-6.
12. Kronstrom M, Svensson B, Erickson E, Houston L, Braham P, Persson G. R. Humoral immunity host factors in subjects with failing or successful titanium dental implants. J Clin Periodontol 2000; 27: 875-82.
13. Thompson, M.W., Mcinnes, R.R., Willard, H.F. Thompson & Thompson: Genetics in medicine. 5.ed. Philadelphia: Saunders; 1991. pp 500.
14. Shirodaria S, Smith J, McKay IJ, Kennett CN, Hughes FJ. Polymorphisms in the IL-1A gene are correlated with levels of interleukin-1alpha protein in gingival crevicular fluid of teeth with severe periodontal disease. J Dent Res 2000; 79: 1864-9.
15. Pociot F, Molvig J, Wogensen L, Worsaae H, Nerup J. A TaqI polymorphism in the human interleukin-1 beta (IL-1 beta) gene correlates with IL-1 beta secretion in vitro. Eur J Clin Invest 1992; 22: 396-402.
16. Trevilatto PC, Scarel-Caminaga RM, de Brito RB Jr, de Souza AP, Line SR. Polymorphism at position -174 of IL-6 gene is associated with susceptibility to chronic periodontitis in a Caucasian Brazilian population. J Clin Periodontol 2003;30:438–42.
17. Scarel-Caminaga RM, Trevilatto PC, Souza AP, Brito RB Jr, Line SR.Investigation of IL4 gene polymorphism in individuals with different levels of chronic periodontitis in a Brazilian population. J Clin Periodontol. 2003;30:341-345.
18. de Souza AP, Trevilatto PC, Scarel-Caminaga RM, Brito RB, Line SR. MMP-1 promoter polymorphism: association with chronic periodontitis severity in a Brazilian population. J Clin Periodontol. 2003;30(2):154–8.
19. Eswaran MA, Bettie NF, Rai R, Eswaran B, Thillaigovindan R. Failures in endosseous implants – A literature review. Int J Biomed Res 2015;6:756-62.
20. Glauser R, Ree A, Lundgren A, Gottlow J, Hammerle CH, Scharer P. Immediate occlusal loading of Br_anemarkimplants applied in various jawbone regions: A prospective,1-year clinical study. Clin Implant Dent Relat Res 2001;3:204-13.