The Off-Label Use of Hydroxychloroquine in Prophylaxis and Treatment of COVID-19
Coronavirus pandemic has covered the entire globe only in a few months and has been declared as a public health emergency due to a very high morbidity as well as mortality rate. Till date no curative measure is available for this fatal disease and only social distancing has been of some help in prevention. However, anti-malarial drug hydroxychloroquine is being tried for prophylaxis and treatment at early stages of the disease although it is not an approved indication for this drug which has given some hope to health care professionals and the affected population.
2. Huang C, Wang Y, Li X, Ren L, Zhao J, Hu Y, et al. Clinical features of patients infected with 2019 novel coronavirus in Wuhan, China. Lancet. 2020 Feb 15;395(10223):497-506. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(20)30183-5.
3. Zhang JJ, Dong X, Cao YY, Yuan YD, Yang YB et al. Clinical characteristics of 140 patients infected with SARS-CoV-2 in Wuhan, China. Allergy. 2020; 00:1–12. https://doi.org/10.1111/all.1423.
4. Tzekov, R. Ocular toxicity due to chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine: Electrophysiological and visual function correlates. Doc Ophthalmol. 2005;110:111–12.
5. Chen Z, Hu J, Zhang Z, et al. Efficacy of hydroxychloroquine in patients with COVID-19: results of a randomized clinical trial. Version 2. med Rxiv 2020.03.22.20040758. [Preprint.] 10.1101/2020.03.22.20040758.
6. Seale JP. Off-label prescribing. Med J Aust 2014;200(2). doi: 10.5694/mja13.00184.
7. Lenzer J. Covid-19: US gives emergency approval to hydroxychloroquine despite lack of evidence. BMJ 2020;369:m1335. 10.1136/bmj.m1335 32238355.
8. Indian Council for Medical Research. Recommendation for empiric use of hydroxychloroquine for prophylaxis of SARS-CoV-2 infection. (Online PDF). Available from: https://icmr.nic.in/sites/default/files/upload_documents/HCQ_Recommendation_22March_final_MM_V2.pdf. [Last Accessed on 15th March, 2020]
9. Yao X, Ye F, Zhang M, et al. In vitro antiviral activity and projection of optimized dosing design of hydroxychloroquine for the treatment of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARSCoV-2). Clin Infect Dis 2020;ciaa237. doi: 10.1093/cid/ciaa237.
10. Liu J, Cao R, Xu M, et al. Hydroxychloroquine, a less toxic derivative of chloroquine, is effective in inhibiting SARS-CoV-2 infection in vitro. Cell Discov 2020;6:16. doi: 10.1038/s41421-020-0156-0.
Copyright (c) 2020 Ashish Paul
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.